Thursday, April 9, 2009

Piecing Dilemma

I did some piecing this afternoon and.... I have discovered that being ambidextrous is not always a good thing! Awhile ago I had started piecing a strip quilt... put all my strips together, cut them into the squares, and then cut on the diagonal. Easy as pie, right.... WRONG, being ambidextrous, I use both hands to cut. I neglected to turn the strip squares before switching hands. The result, my squares do not line up correctly once I piece them together. Don't you just hate these kinds of days! Something that was supposed to be so simple turns out not to be!

Here are the blocks in the "proper" layout...


In this picture, the block on the left was cut incorrectly, so once pieced together it will appear to have a chevron effect instead of the intended split color square.


My only choice is leave it and say "who cares", or I can sash each block so that the chevron appearance won't be as noticable, since it only appears every so often. I'll let you know what happens with this quilt in the future -- not so sure what I'm doing with it right now.