Saturday, October 2, 2010

Zentangle… Obsession or Addiction

What is Zentangle? Squidoo states “In a word, a doodle. A structured, contained doodle.”

I have always doodled. There is always paper, notebooks, sketch pads, you name it, they are all over my house, everywhere -- there are even a few Magna-Doodles if you look hard enough. If you open any of them you will find a myriad of doodles, drawings, quilting ideas, new motifs, background fills, etc.

About a year ago I stumbled upon Zentangle’s blog – I would read the posts, doodle and enjoy. After following the blog and doodling my own tangles I noticed there was an awesome connection between Zentangles and machine quilting. I noticed that I was actually drawing little background fills. Now I realize that not all of these are “quilt-able”, but tangling puts your mind in such a creative zone it is almost scary. Be warned, doodling a tangle can take a few minutes, or few hours, depending on the size and fills.

Here is a picture of my latest tangles...



Drawing, doodling, sketching, tangling, whatever name you choose to call it, it is fun, relaxing, and almost meditative. Try it!

The Zentangle® art form and method was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. Zentangle® is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.