Sunday, February 26, 2017

Diane's 9-Patch/Dresden Quilt

Way back in November of 2016, I quilted Diane's version of Plates in the Nine Patch (pattern by Kay Buffington - kaysquilts.com).  And as much as it killed me, I wasn't able to share the entire quilt as Diane wanted to save its debut for a show, although I did share a couple of sneak peeks on the Creative Longarm Quilting facebook page.   Well, it is now February and the show has taken place so I can share away!  Isn't is gorgeous!

I say it's Diane's version of Plates in the Nine Patch as on the original pattern the finished size is 33"x33" -- Diane's quilt is 77" square so she did a bit of resizing as well as adding a floating border.  I was thrilled to quilt this beauty as there was so much space for creating secondary designs.  I'm so glad after discussing it, Diane decided to add that border -- it added some valuable space for the quilting.  I used two layers of batting - Hobbs 80/20 topped with Quilters Dream Wool.  It is stitched with Fil-Tec Glide 40 wt thread.

Enough of all the chatter, here are some detail pics (eye candy is so much better):





And don't you just love when the light shines across the quilt?  This was a morning peek I just had to share:

And, of course, a peek at the back:

Just received news from Diane that this beauty won four ribbons -- Best of Show, First Place Medium Pieced Longarm Quilted, Best Longarm Quilting, and Viewers Choice -- at the Lake County Quilters Guild 35th Annual "Fan"tastic Quilt Show in Mount Dora, Florida (2/24-25/2017).  How wonderful is that?  Let's send a big shout of Congratulations to Diane!  Here's a pic she forwarded of her, the quilt, and the ribbons!