Friday, June 5, 2009

Just a thought on learning hand applique...

I should be quilting right now but it's still early and its going to be a long day. I've been thinking about one of Peggy's YBR quilts for the past few evenings, I had started a quilt with the very same leaf pattern that she used. It was originally intended for me to learn needle turn applique (and its been several years). Anyway, learned, conquered, and got better on a different project -- why I'm not sure, must be the ADD thing again...

Awhile ago, I pulled the original leaf blocks out of "holding" and looked at my beginning, middle, and end needle turn stitches, AHHH, end ones were great, but the beginning and middle of the learning curve were just bad - big, not so invisible stitches. I couldn't stand looking at my beginning stitches, where I used thick cotton thread (could you imagine) instead of the beautiful silk thread I now use. In the meantime, I re-stitched all the applique leaves with a machine stitch covering those pesky, ugly, nasty learning stitches -- learning hand applique is not always pretty -- and now I've got to finish this wonderful project, which by the way, someone has already got dibs on! Even though I really, really wanted it for myself -- isn't that always the way!

Here's a peek at the applique blocks waiting (there's like 33 more & please don't mind the wrinkles)...